Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Happy Thyroidism?













Neonatal Hypothyroidism…

Huh?

Considering it happens in approximately 1 in 4000 cases, how did I get so lucky that BOTH of my babies have it? Jami actually has it worse, and is on a higher dose of Levothyroxine. This is one of those things that I never would have thought of worrying about.

Right before I got pregnant I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. My mom has it, so I guess I’m the lucky one in our family to have inherited that gene. This more likely caused the issue with my infertility. I went on Levothyroxine in May of 2008. I got pregnant in June 2008 after 3 years of trying, and 2nd round of IUI treatments. It’s either a coincidence or I was lucky on that 2nd trial.

We found out they had it when they were 2 months old. And, it was Liam that I was more worried about at the time. He had this little jittery chin – it shivered like he was cold, but he wasn’t. Jami had something similar, but it didn’t happen as much with her as it did with him.
At their 2 month check up, I brought it up to their pediatrician, Dr. B, and she scheduled them to have blood work done (UGH). She said she wanted to check their thyroid levels (TSH and T4) as well as their calcium levels. I guess this “jittery chin” can indicate a thyroid issue or mal-absorption of calcium.

I made it through the blood test (I think it was harder for me than it was for them), and we found out their thyroid levels have not come down the way they should after birth. From what I understand, their TSH and T4 levels are high after birth, and start to drop as their thyroid and pituitary gland kicks in. Unfortunately, their thyroid and pituitary glands didn’t get this message, and Jami’s actually started to climb.

So, we were referred to a Pediatric Endocrinologist at Children’s Hospital in St. Paul. Treatment of hypothyroidism is one of the easiest ways to prevent mental retardation in infants, and starting them early on treatments is aimed at preventing permanent brain damage. So treating them is a no brainer. We have to monitor their thyroid levels every 2 months by blood tests until they are 3 years old.

Yes, you heard me correctly – 3 years old…

Double UGH.

We have to give them daily thyroid replacement supplements - crushing them up and putting them in a small bottle to get it in to them each morning. As they get older and start eating more foods, we’ll be able to get it into them that way. Luckily it’s a small pill.

Interestingly enough, Jami has really started to excel in development since the increase in her dosage. She always had her little tongue sticking out. We thought it was cute, but this is also another sign of hypothyroidism. She was always quiet, content, not fussy. We thought she was just a great little baby, but again, those are signs of an underactive thyroid. Now, she’s laughing, giggling, squealing, and all around happy little girl. She’s still more content to let her brother be in the spotlight, but we can tell the meds are helping her with her development.

Liam’s development has been right on track. He’s the one that wants to be in the lime light – the center of attention.

Both of them are healthy, happy and the center of my universe.

I couldn’t ask for anything more.

No comments:

Post a Comment